Wednesday, April 06, 2005

the woods

Just beyond the potato patch was a patch of woods. I had lived all my life in town until we moved to Letart. I experienced a lot of culture shock. While I loved the gardening and few other things about rural life, I was deathly afraid of the woods. I never ventured past the last row of potatoes but David often did. That boy worried me to death!; so much so that I had a recurring nightmare.
In this nightmare, he had gone into the woods and I was sent in to get him. I found him in a cave with a monster! In the middle of the cave was Ruth’s black metal phone stand and their phone. The monster refused to let us go and refused to let us use the phone. Then it started raining. The cave started to flood, but still the monster kept us. Soon the water was at David’s chin. The monster instructed me to hold him on my shoulders if I was afraid of him drowning. So I did. When the water to my chin, the monster finally said I could call for help. When the phone rang, I woke up.

No comments: